Sean Gleason to be sentenced July 27


WAUKESHA - A Waukesha County Circuit judge Wednesday, May 10, found an Ixonia man guilty of inattentive driving in a two-car accident that left a former New Berlin man in need of lifelong medical care.

According to court records, Sean Gleason, 29, was convicted after a two-day bench trial of felony reckless driving-causing great bodily harm. Judge Lee S. Dreyfus is scheduled to sentence Gleason on July 27.

The charge stemmed from a September 2015 crash at Ryerson and Moorland roads, in New Berlin, that left then-36-year-old Charles Wahn with a traumatic brain injury and a broken neck, among other injuries.

Court records indicate Dreyfus found that Gleason did not intend to crash his vehicle into Wahn's, or cause an injury, but ruled the state had met its burden of proof in the case and convicted Gleason.

RELATED: Ex-New Berlin marathoner faces a life of non-stop medical care after car accident

According to a criminal complaint, Gleason told police that just before the accident he reached down to pick something up off the floor of his truck and when he looked up again saw Wahn's car, but not in time to avoid a collision. He said he thought he was driving about 30 to 35 mph.

However, witness reports and information from the "black box" in Gleason's truck conflicted with that account.

Witnesses told police that Gleason appeared to be driving around 40 to 45 mph or faster before the crash, and said in the complaint that Gleason's truck "never seemed to slow down" before hitting Wahn's car.

Data recovered from the black box in the truck reportedly indicated that Gleason was driving "at a constant speed of 50 mph and did not activate his brakes" before the crash occurred.

He's facing up to 3½ years in prison and $10,000 in fines.

Benefit for Wahn

Last March, Wahn's fiancee, Nicole DuBois, organized a fundraiser for Wahn to raise money for his extensive medical and rehabilitation costs.

The accident happened about a month before their wedding, which was postponed.

She said at the time that the goal of the benefit was to raise $26,200 – what she dubbed a "marathon of support" in honor of Wahn's passion for running.

It ended up pulling in more than $60,000, according to a post from DuBois on the fundraiser's Facebook event page.

"I pray for an amazing recovery," DuBois said last February, adding, "I want people to know how amazing Charlie is."

Read or Share this story: