New Berlin West recovered from consecutive losses to tie state-ranked Shorewood on Oct. 3 and take down South Milwaukee, 3-2, on Oct. 5.

It was a back-and-forth affair with the Greyhounds, which entered last week ranked No. 3 in Division 3.

Shorewood struck first on a goal on a long chip from center back Jaison James in the 11th minute. The Vikings equalized in the 35th minute when Mason Church scored from the top of the 6-yard box on a slotted pass from A.J. Woyak.

In the 50th minute, Dom DeLuca tried to hit Nate Garris with a pass, but the ball was instead collected by Corbin Neutgens, who put a hard shot into the upper left of the goal from 25 yards out to put West up 2-1.

Shorewood tied the game in the 60th minute on a goal from Cole Stephens.

"It was a nice game by West," Viking coach Matt Drago said. "Although it's disappointing to let the win slip away, we played hard throughout and had some of our best possession soccer of the season."

Nate Garris scored on a chip over the goaltender off a long ball from Josh Blaine in the 36th minute to give the Vikings a 1-0 halftime lead against South Milwaukee. In the 52nd minute, Garris assisted on a goal by Dan Schneider to make it 2-0.

"I made a sprint down the line, beat my defender on the end line, even though he thought it was out," Garris said. "I played a ball across to the back post where Dan Schneider was waiting to hammer it home."

After South Milwaukee cut West's lead to 2-1 in the 62nd minute, Garris picked off a goal kick and scored in the 66th minute. The Rockets made the game interesting with a goal in the 77th minute and had a chance to tie late but sailed a shot over the goal.

"South Milwaukee played a high back line, forcing us out of our comfort zone a bit," Drago said. "We were able to play through it with some success in the second half but then left us open to counter attacks. This team follows instructions as well as any team I've been around. They did a great job executing our game plan."